Warrnambool | A City for Living

This impressive memorial, sited in a commanding position at the top of the main street was opened on Anzac Day, 1926. The choice of form and location followed a lengthy public discussion. The two marble figures- the angel and the soldier – were imported from Italy. The steps are made of grey Harcourt granite and the column is of Balmoral red granite. 

The surrounding octagonal wall contains the names of those remembered in red granite panels. Originally there were two wrought iron gates between the middle columns. These were replaced after WWII with the engraved panel which represents the three fighting services. When first built there were cypress pine trees around the rear of the wall. These were later cleared to create the roundabout which now encircles the memorial.