Warrnambool was planned as a port for the surrounding agricultural area, with the first land sales occurring in 1847. The first building, a hotel was on the corner opposite this car park. The early flagstaff which guided ships into and out of the harbour was located on this highpoint.
The original lighthouse, light keepers house and chart room inside the fence (to your left) were first built on Middle Island in 1859 and moved to this site in 1871, when the earlier location proved unsuitable.
Overlooking the bay two 80 pound cannons, dating from the 1880s have stood guard over the seaward approaches to the harbour, as part of the town garrison’s defences. On special days these guns are still fired by a volunteer re-enactment group who wear the uniform of the 1890s garrison. The lighthouse complex and battery are part of the Flagstaff Hill Maritime museum and village which features many interesting shipwreck artefacts.
The buildings in the open-air village are careful recreations of typical buildings found in a working port of the late 19th century.